Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Info About Zeke

If you are like me, you may have a lot of questions about what Zeke actually has and how it differs from other types of seizures. I found this video and I thought it was very helpful. I can't actually put in on our blog but this is the link where you can view it:
http://www.epilepsy.com/node/976294

It is quite long and the first 2 1/2 minutes or so is just a lady introducing this doctor. If you don't want to watch the whole video the most interesting part is towards the end - start the video at about 28 min. 45 sec.
The first video clip of the infant looks exactly like what Zeke does when sleeping except it usually involves his arm or hands as well. They aren't as dramatic as the other types since he only has focal or partial (a specific part of the brain) that seizures.

There are a lot of other videos on this website but I thought this one was the most helpful in understanding the differences between seizures and seeing actual video of the different types.

I've been trying to find out as much as I can so when we go back to the doctor I might have a clue to what they are talking about. I didn't know much about it when we initially went in. We just upped the dose of his medication today and are possibly seeing some bad side effects. He's been pretty irritable since we started the medication but today was pretty bad. We had quite the temper tantrum/rage today at the park. It's really hard to know what is just bad behavior and what is related to the medicine. He really isn't acting like himself. Hopefully his body will adjust to it or we may have to call the doctor and see what we can do. We appreciate all your prayers. I know all of you are concerned for him and I thought this info might help.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm praying for you, Amanda!

memepapa said...

I feel so bad for Zeke. I know from other people having this sort of thing that mood changing can be a side affect. I am praying that this won't be a side affect. Don't hesitate to call the doctor because this stuff is messing with their brain also. I will watch the video and thanks for finding it for us because I would like to better understand it also.
Give our love to the little guy and we are praying for you and Nick as you go through this also.
Love ya all,